powder and threads

Read all about Saffron

Saffron is a spice derived from the stigmas of the  “ Crocus Sativus” commonly known as “Saffron Crocus”, which belongs to the Iridaceae family. The plant of Saffron Crocus grows up to 20-30 cm. and bears up to 4 flowers each with three vivid crimson stigmas. The stigmas (or threads) are collected and dried to be used by the food industry and in cuisine as a spice and/or coloring agent. Saffron, considered to be among the most valuable and expensive spice in the world, has origin in Southwest Asia.

Today the largest producer of saffron is Iran with around  97% of the worldwide production. The remaining  3%  is cultivated in Spain, Morocco Italy and Greece.

One of the most typical use of saffron in the Italian cuisine is in Milanese risotto or “ yellow risotto”.

The Crocus Sativus thrives in the Mediterranean maquis and in similar climates like the Californian chaparral and Chilean matorral where the hot and dry summer breeze sweeps semi-arid lands. But it can also survive cold winters, tolerating temperatures as low as  –10 °C and short periods of snow cover. Irrigation is requiered if it grows outside of moist enviroments such as Kashmir, where annual average rainfalls are 1,000 – 1,500 mm. ; the cultivating regions in Spain ( 400 mm. annually) and Greece  ( 500 mm. annually ) are far drier than  the main cultivating regions in Iran. This is made possible by the timing of the local wet season: generous spring rains and drier summers represent the optimal climate. Rains immediately preceding flowering, increase  saffron crops, while a cold or rainy weather during flowering promotes instead diseases and reduces yields. Persistent damp and conditions of intense heat damage the crops.

saffron powder

Category ISO 1, ISO 2, ISO 3

saffron threads

First Quality


Our selection for restaurants – catering